Start of port to v1.12.2

Discussion in 'Code' started by mikeprimm, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Folks,

I've started doing some non-trivial work towards moving us to be based off of Minecraft v1.12.2 (including the corresponding update of Forge, and migration to the Sponge 7 API). Not sure how long this will take to get to a production quality, but I figure we will want to keep ahead of the obsolescence curve - and v1.11.2 mod support is starting to ebb.

In any case, I'm hoping to have a test client and server together 'Really Soon Now(tm)' - this will definitely be 'alpha' level: something that works enough to figure out what is broken, versus being anywhere near ready for production. I'll definitely need some eyes on this, once we get there: the project will be less crazy than the last upgrade, but major version moves are always opportunities for lots of silly crap.

Wazgamer, Kor_Bro, Dan_Prime and 5 others like this.
  2. OK - we've now got a proper test client and server for v1.12.2. You'll see a 3rd client in the launcher, which will take you to a test server running with essentially a clone of our current configuration and worlds. Give it a look, and let me know if you see anything particularly broken...

Wazgamer, CashBanks and Emotione11 like this.
  3. Started testing. Just at a first glance, the major things I see are:

- CTM doesn't appear to be working for any of our custom blocks.
    - Vanilla blocks (glass panes, etc.) aren't connecting to our custom blocks.
    - Fence blocks are connecting to any block, whereas they should only connect to solid blocks:
    https://puu.sh/zqrpJ/7791f63b85.png
    https://puu.sh/zqrqn/5cdf5d9eb4.png
    - Custom biome shading isn't working for any of our custom blocks.

- /ptime doesn't seem to be functional (although /pweather is).

Will test in more detail later, haven't looked at anything perms-wise, will need a test subject for that.

EDIT: Also, do you still have the list of things we had to fix during the 1.7.10 port compiled somewhere? It would be helpful I think to just run through that list again, but the 1.7.10 thread is on the old forums so I can't access it.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Wazgamer likes this.
  4. Updated v1.12.2 server and client:
    • Updated WB to include new blocks from Emot that are also on v1.11.2 test client and server
    • Update OptiFine to D1 version - hoped this would fix CTM problem, but doesn't seem to have helped...
    • Updated Forge in client to 2651
    • Updated Sponge on server
    • Updated RP to include new updates from Emot that are also on v1.12.2 test client and server

5. Also, I put some work in on the CTM issue last night, and found a workaround (which, unfortunately, is all about using the 'old school' blockXXXX*.properties naming to drive CTM association with blocks (versus matchingBlocks=, which seems to NOT work at all - even for numbers - on OptiFine on 1.12.2....). I'm working on an RP update to handle this, but I've confirmed that it seems to work with everything I've tried so far, so expect another update tonight....

Dan_Prime, CashBanks and Emotione11 like this.
  6. OK - so just updated 1.12.2 server with both updated RP and WB (based on new block changes and other fixes from Emot, matching what is in test for 1.11.2), and with the workaround for the CTM issue. Please give it a look :)

Dan_Prime, CashBanks and geeberry like this.
  7. geeberry

geeberry Kingthlayer Admin

Had a look over a few days ago and didn't notice any glaring issues - but maybe @Emoticone11 can doublecheck?

8. If we're looking good, I'd like to start working towards a migration plan. A lot of existing mod support for 1.11.2 is starting to sunset, and I'm hoping we can avoid getting as far behind the curve as we were back with 1.7.10.

Emotione11 and geeberry like this.
  9. geeberry

geeberry Kingthlayer Admin

Sounds good!

10. I'll give it a look in a bit, probably in a few days after I have my last exam.

Do you have the list of things we had to fix back in 1.7.10 compiled anywhere, @mikeprimm ? I unfortunately can't access the thread on the old forums ATM. But having that would help immensely with bug-testing.

11. Hey @mikeprimm , I tried to visit the 1.12.2 server today, but upon visiting I seemed to be hit with an unplayable amount of client-side lag. My memory is already set quite high (6G) and I've never had problems otherwise, so I'm not really sure why this would be the case. Do you have any idea?

12. Not sure - I'm running with 3G on both min and max heap, and just logged on and was pretty clean while flying around King's Landing....

13. I could check if out if you could whitelist me (TheKraken7).

Side note, new launcher works well loading the 1.12 client.